What to Bring form our Free AARP Tax Preparation
NEW FOR THIS YEAR:
This site uses a "Drop-Off' process which includes the site temporarily keeping identifiable information (social security numbers, Form W-2 etc.) to prepare the tax return. Taxpayers must number their tax documents, complete the Intake/Interview Review Sheet and place them in the AARP Foundation provided envelope*. The Taxpayers must sign IRS Form 14446 that gives us permission to process the return. The Taxpayers leave their documents with us, then the return is processed and verified by certified AARP Tax preparers. THE TAXPAYER MUST LEAVE A WORKING PHONE NUMBER WHERE THEY CAN BE REACHED BY THE TAX PREPARERS.
WHEN NOTIFIED, THE TAXPAYER RETURNS TO THE SITE, REVIEWS THE COMPLETED RETURN AND SIGNS FORMS 8879/IT-579. THIS GIVES US PERMISSION TO ELECTRONICALLY TRANSMIT THE RETURNS TO THE IRS AND NEW YORK STATE.
ADDITIONAL ITEMS TO BRING
- NEW FOR 2021: Your consecutively numbered tax documents (cited above) and the completed 8-page Intake/Interview & Quality Review booklet. (Mandatory) You can download the intake form at the bottom of this page
- Proof of identification: PHOTO copies (front and back) of your driver's license or passport. (We suggest that you make copies at home, Staples, or someplace where your document's images are not saved in the copier memory. (Mandatory)
- PHOTO Copies of the Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents, or a Social Security number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration. (Mandatory}
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letters or proof of foreign status if applying for an ITIN may be substituted if you do not have a Social Security number. (Mandatory)
- Form 1095-A, if you received health care insurance through the Marketplace, i.e., the New York State Department of Health. (Mandatory)
- NEW FOR 2021: New York has a new refundable tax credit for homeowners who receive the STAR exemption or credit. EVEN IF YOU DO NOT ITEMIZE YOUR DEDUCTIONS, YOU SHOULD BRING YOUR prope11y tax receipts and documents showing the amount of STAR credit or senior citizens property tax exemption (School Taxes paid in spring and fall, General and Village taxes, and checks stubs.
* Documents must be consecutively numbered.
- Wage and other earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc.) from all sources.
- Forms (SSA-1099, RRB-1099) Social Security/Railroad Retirement Benefit Statements.
- Interest and dividend statements from banks and brokerage firms (Forms I 099-INT/DIV and I 099-B). (Your bank may not issue these forms to you if your interest or dividend is under $10. Brokerage firms are not required to send you these forms until the end of February.)
- Copies of2019 and 2020 Federal and State Returns. If you do not bring these returns, we will not know if you have given us all of the information for items of income, deductions and credits, carryovers of capital losses, contributions, and other items. (Mandatory)
- If applicable, include your IRS Identity Theft PIN.
- A blank voided check if you want your refund to be direct deposited or payment to be automatically withdrawn from your bank account.
- For a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
- Taxpayers must bring their IRS Letter 6475 RRC, Economic Impact Payment letter. (Mandatory)
- Where applicable. taxpayers that received Advance Child Tax Credit must bring IRS Letter 6419
- Total paid to Daycare provider and the Daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number.
- Documentation for Itemized Deductions if you do not want the Standard Deduction. The Federal Standard Deduction is $14,250 for Singles and $27,800 for a married couple both over 65. The corresponding figures for NY State are $8,000 and $16,050. You are allowed to take the Standard Deduction for Federal and itemize for NY. The IRS caps State and Local Taxes at
$10,000 but NY does not have that cap. If you want to itemize you MUST create itemized lists of your deductions: Medical, Taxes, and Charitable Contributions. We cannot accept bunches of receipts. If you are itemizing, please complete Worksheet A (Federal) and Worksheet B (State). [Attachment I and Attachment 2)
- Form 1098-T Education Expenses and Form 1098-E Student Loan Interest
- AARP Tax Aide volunteers cannot prepare returns that include rental property, military income, alternative minimum tax, many stock transactions or in other situations where volunteers have not been trained. Additional scope guidelines are available.
Please note: IRS Form 14446 must be signed before we begin your return. This process will require two visits and all documents are returned to the taxpayer.
This year we are not preparing prior year amended returns.
Download the intake forms here.